Monday, October 21, 2013

Stuffed Potato Boats with Tuna

בס''ד
During the week, my family likes to eat pareve [non-dairy] or dairy for supper. The only meat we usually eat during the week is leftovers from Shabbat and occasionally deli.

The other day, I was looking for something to stuff for supper. I raided my vegetable compartment in the fridge and found sweet and white potatoes, onions, some mushrooms and some salad vegetables.

We all know about stuffed peppers filled with ground meat and baked in a rich tomato sauce.

I sometimes stuff tomatoes, zucchini or eggplants, but I wanted something different and not meat.  What could I make for supper with these vegetables?

I decided since the vegetable that I had the most of was potatoes, I would stuff them with tuna. It was so easy to do, and the meal was delicious.

I used:
4 potatoes [3 sweet and 1 white]
1 onion diced
1 can of drained tuna
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 can of mushrooms
1 tablespoon of flour [or a package of mushroom gravy mix]
season to taste, salt, peper, garlic powder, [I used sweet chilli spice]

That's it!

The tricky part:
Peel and hold the potato long ways and with a very sharp knife cut in half.
Then, very slowly cut around the edge so that you can scoop out the center.
Once that is done, your potatoes should look like small boats that can be filled.

In the processor, combine the cut out pieces of potato and onion and chop until you have fine pieces. Add the tuna and spices and blend together gently.

Fill the potato boats with the tuna and vegetable mixture and place in a casserole dish.

In a small pot add 1 can of drained mushrooms, a tablespoon of flour and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil.

Spoon the the mushroom mixture over the top of the boats and cover.

I baked my dish in the microwave for 20 minutes but you could bake in the oven at 350f or 180c until the potatoes are soft. About 1 hour. 

This recipe can be dairy if you eat tuna and cheese together, by sprinkling grated cheese over the top the last couple of minutes of baking.


Serve with a vegetable salad and you have a very filling meal.  On cold days, start with your favorite soup.  ENJOY!

Until next time, feel free to comment and share.
Miriam        

4 comments:

Chaya said...

Great idea, Miriam! Thanks for the recipe.

Risa Tzohar said...

This sounds like something I would love! I love tuna and also potatoes. I never thought of the combination though. Will definitely try it!

Shiffy said...

Miriam, I made the recipe for supper and my family loved it. Thank-you for the idea.


Shiffy

Fayge said...

Thanks Miriam, It looks like a delicious dinner idea!
Fayge